Discover Your Own Backyard
The Discover Your Own Backyard (DYOB) campaign was developed by Destination Melbourne and local councils to educate residents about things to see and do in their local area. Since its launch in 2011, Destination Melbourne has partnered with 15 local governments to tap into this market and deliver significant social and economic benefits to communities throughout Melbourne and Victoria. The Discover Your Own Backyard marketing campaign is aimed at increasing local residents’ awareness of visitor related products and experiences in their region, and aims to build community pride in residents and encourage dispersal and yield.
Domestically, visiting friends and relatives (VFR) is the largest motivating factor for people visiting Melbourne*. The VFR market is worth $2.8 billion to Melbourne’s economy.
In 2012 Discover Your Own Backyard campaign won ‘Best Marketing Strategy’ at the National Economic Development awards, and ‘Best Marketing Campaign’ at the RACV Victorian Tourism Awards.
- Educate residents about the things to see and do in their local area
- Promote the value of visitors to residents
- Encourage residents to act as ambassadors for their region to their visiting friends and relatives
- Create a sense of civic and community pride in the local area
- Visiting friends and relatives and local residents
- Digital – DYOB website, Facebook and Twitter
- Print – local community newspapers
- Video – online, cinema, and community distribution channels
- Radio – weekly segments on community and commercial radio
- Transit – tram, train, Skybus and Adshell
- All year round
Partnership and Sponsorship opportunities:
Destination Melbourne welcomes expressions of interest from local government, government agencies, community and business to partner with Destination Melbourne in the delivery of the DYOB campaign.
For more information contact:
Denise Castro | 9869 2444 | firstname.lastname@example.org